Packed With Promise
Vern Kimball, President of UCalgary’s Alumni Association
We are in the middle of a remarkable year for the University of Calgary.
As it celebrates its 50th year, the university was recently ranked in the top 200 universities in the world — a terrific achievement for an institution so young. Being in the top 200 will help attract research funding, help make graduates more competitive in the labour market and make the university more attractive to prospective students, faculty and staff.
The university’s strategic plan, Eyes High, that has guided the institution’s most recent progress, is in the process of being reenergized to guide future progress through to 2022. With widespread consultation on campus and in the community, alumni are invited to participate in a customized online survey as well as by focus group. (Discover more at ucalgary.ca/alumni/energizing-eyes-high.)
Also worthy of celebration is the unveiling of the university’s fundraising campaign, Energize, an ambitious plan to raise $1.3 billion to support growth and excellence in a number of areas. With more than $725 million raised to date, Energize will be transformative for our community. Learn more at ucalgary.ca/campaign.
Here are some noteworthy opportunities for alumni to help celebrate UCalgary’s anniversary over the next 12 months:
- 50 Years of Art is now open at the Nickle Galleries, showcasing 70 pieces selected by alumni as their favourites.
- On Feb. 2, 2017, the university will again partner with Mount Royal University and the Calgary Flames in the Crowchild Classic. This popular annual event features the men’s and women’s hockey teams entertaining the 12,000-plus fans packing the Scotiabank Saddledome.
- On Feb. 26, the School of Creative and Performing Arts will present the Celebrating 50 Years: A UCalgary Anniversary Gala at the Jack Singer Concert Hall.
- In March, the university will feature a Walrus Talk on the leadership of Calgary, and we expect an alumni presence on the panel.
- Next September, UCalgary will host the second Alumni Weekend, featuring activities on campus and online. This is when we will recognize the successes of our alumni at the Arch Awards.
— Vern Kimball, President of UCalgary’s Alumni Association